About Me

Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
Over the last few decades I've spent a number of hours cooking for my family of 5. My husband is a retired bank Manager and my 3 boys are IIT graduates. Now I'm sharing my knowledge and thoughts to the world through this site. Whether you are a busy mom or a student learning to cook, you will find this blog helpful for cooking simple and easy to make food for yourself and the whole family. Hope you enjoy my recipe blog! I also love listening to devotional songs. Please browse through my devotional blogs to know more about them. I am always looking for ways to improve my blogs. Please leave your comments. If you like to see recipe of any particular dish or lyrics of a devotional song, please also let me know. Thanks for reading my blog.

Friday 11 March 2011

Idli & oothappam

Ingradients:
  • Split black lentil (minapa pappu, urad dal)  1 cup
  • Boiled Rice rava (  idli rava )                     2 cups or
  • Coarse Ground Rice
  • Salt to taste
Preperation:
  1. Soak Urad dal (Black gram dal) in a bowl for 2 hours minimum.
  2. Wash 2 to 3 times and soak Idli rava in a bowl separately
  3. Grind the Black gram dal   to a fine paste in a  grinder.
  4. Remove the paste in a  vessel. 
  5. Now squeeze and mix idli ravva into urad dal paste. Add salt and mix well.
  6. Leave the paste for  ferment overnight.
  7. In the morning, put the idli batter into the wet  molds of an idli tray or "tree" for steaming. The perforated molds allow the idlis to be cooked evenly. 
  8. The tree holds the trays above the level of boiling water in a vessel (,maximum 3 cups of water) and the vessel is covered until the idlies are done (about 10to15 minutes, depending on size). 
  9. Remove idlis  after 10 minutes.
  10. Serve with chutney or sambar along with idli powder.

           The idli batter can be used both for ootappam and dibba rotti before  fermentation of the batter.



     ootappam



    1 comment:

    1. >> "put the idli batter into the oil -greased molds "..

      We were missing the oil, I think.. :D

      ReplyDelete