About Me

Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
Over the last few decades I've spent a number of hours cooking for my family of 5. My husband is a retired bank Manager and my 3 boys are IIT graduates. Now I'm sharing my knowledge and thoughts to the world through this site. Whether you are a busy mom or a student learning to cook, you will find this blog helpful for cooking simple and easy to make food for yourself and the whole family. Hope you enjoy my recipe blog! I also love listening to devotional songs. Please browse through my devotional blogs to know more about them. I am always looking for ways to improve my blogs. Please leave your comments. If you like to see recipe of any particular dish or lyrics of a devotional song, please also let me know. Thanks for reading my blog.

Sunday 13 March 2011

Hot Pongal


Ingredients

  •  rice                                                 2 cups
  •  Green gram  dal (pesara pappu)   1 cup  
  •  black peppercorns                     5
  • Salt to taste

for seasoning:
  •  cumin                       1tsp 
  • curry leaves
  • oil/ghee                            2tsp
  • ginger finely chopped 1tbsp
  •  cashew nuts                    5                 
  • mustard seeds                1tsp
  • urad dal                             1tbsp

Preparation 

  1. Wash rice and moong dal add  peppercorns,  cumin, ginger pieces, salt, 9 cups water.(1:3 ratio) and cook them in a pressure cooker. (3whistles)  and keep it aside.
  2. In a heavy bottom pan heat oil/ghee and fry the cashew nuts and add urad dhal,mustard seeds ,cumin seeds red chilly pieces in order and stir for 2 minutes, add it to the rice mixture .
  3. Mix well and serve with sambar or chutney of your choice.




    ( for thamilanadu pongal add water 1:4 otherwise 1:3 )

1 comment:

  1. We prepared hot pongal today. It came out very tasty.

    ReplyDelete