About Me

Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
Over the last few decades I've spent a number of hours cooking for my family of 5. My husband is a retired bank Manager and my 3 boys are IIT graduates. Now I'm sharing my knowledge and thoughts to the world through this site. Whether you are a busy mom or a student learning to cook, you will find this blog helpful for cooking simple and easy to make food for yourself and the whole family. Hope you enjoy my recipe blog! I also love listening to devotional songs. Please browse through my devotional blogs to know more about them. I am always looking for ways to improve my blogs. Please leave your comments. If you like to see recipe of any particular dish or lyrics of a devotional song, please also let me know. Thanks for reading my blog.

Monday 11 April 2011

Dalma (Oriya recipe)



Ingredients
  • Toor Dal 1cup
  •  Red Pumpkin  small piece (cut into large pieces)
  •  Brinjal  (cut into medium size pieces)
  •  Green Papaya (cut into  pieces)
  •  Potato1(medium size peeled and cut into pieces)
  • 4 no. Dry Red Chillies
  • 1 tsp. Turmeric powder
  • 2 tsp. Cumin seed (Jeera)
  • 1 tsp. Ghee or Oil
  • Salt to taste
Procedure

  1. Roast cumin and red chilli in a pan till they turn light brown.Grind them together and keep the powder aside.  
  2. Cook Dal in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles. Add all vegetables  (potato,pumpkin, brinjal and papaya) to the cooked dal, and cook it further till the vegetables become soft. 
  3. Heat Ghee/Cooking Oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds to it and heat till they crackle. Add 2 red chillies.
  4. Add the tadka to cooked dal+vegetables. 
  5. Add roasted cumin and chilli powder and  salt, mix well, heat  for 5 minutes.
  6. Garnish with grated coconut and coriander leaves.
  7. Serve with hot  rice or roti.

No comments:

Post a Comment