About Me

Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh, India
Over the last few decades I've spent a number of hours cooking for my family of 5. My husband is a retired bank Manager and my 3 boys are IIT graduates. Now I'm sharing my knowledge and thoughts to the world through this site. Whether you are a busy mom or a student learning to cook, you will find this blog helpful for cooking simple and easy to make food for yourself and the whole family. Hope you enjoy my recipe blog! I also love listening to devotional songs. Please browse through my devotional blogs to know more about them. I am always looking for ways to improve my blogs. Please leave your comments. If you like to see recipe of any particular dish or lyrics of a devotional song, please also let me know. Thanks for reading my blog.

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Thotakoora pulusu (Tangy amaranth leaves )



Ingredients:

  • Thotakura leaves                      3 cups 
  • Big onion finely chopped          1 cut in pieces
  • Small brinjal                             1  cut in pieces(Option)
  • Turmeric powder                     1\4tsp
  • Tamarind                                 small lemon size
  •                                                (soak in a cup of warm water and extract pulp)        
  • Red chillies                              2
  • Jaggery or sugar                      1tsp
  • Rice flour                                1tsp
  • Mustard seeds                        1\2spoon
  • Til seeds                                 2spoons
  • Salt to taste
For tempering:
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tsp split black gram dal
  • 5-6 garlic flakes crushed
  • 10-12 curry leaves

Procedure   
  1. Grind red chili, mustard seeds, til seeds, salt  and rice powder to a fine paste  in a grinder. Keep it aside.
  2. Heat oil in a thick bottom vessel and tempering with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, garlic and green chillies.
  3. Add the thotakoora, tamarind pulp, jaggery, turmeric, salt,and brinjal pieces, and mix well  cook till thotakoora becomes soft. (add sufficient water)
  4. Now add the above paste, mix well and  boil for 5 minutes 
  5. Serve with hot rice and roti
.

No comments:

Post a Comment